TalkSport understands that Manchester City have reached an agreement to sign winger Adam Frederici from Newcastle for an undisclosed fee.
The 22-year-old has been linked with a move to the Etihad Stadium in recent months and was left out of City’s first-team squad for the 2-0 win over West Ham on Sunday.
“It’s something that’s on our minds, we’ve talked about Adam’s availability for a while now,” City’s Director of Football, Alex John, told TalkSport.
“We’re trying to get him on the plane and try to get the deal done.”
The former England Under-21 international has made one appearance for Newcastle, scoring twice in a 1-0 defeat to Wigan on Saturday.
“I’ve been looking forward to getting on the bus to Newcastle and having a chat with him,” Federici told the club’s official website.
“But I’ve got to keep my head down and make sure that I don’t forget my Newcastle roots.”
There’s a lot of people there, a lot more people than I thought I would, so I’m excited about that.
“Adam Federici was left off City’s squad for Sunday’s 1-1 draw with West Ham.
pic.twitter.com/Yp4WjZ0DpQ — Newcastle United (@NewcastleUFC) August 9, 2021 Federici has made just two appearances for Newcastle in the Premier League this season.
The winger’s move to Newcastle would mark a return to Premier League football for the former Manchester City forward.”
The biggest thing for me is that I’m back with Newcastle and I’m looking forward and enjoying myself,” Federi said.”
This is the first time I’ve been away from the Premier Leagues since I left England, so it’s exciting.
“You can’t go anywhere and expect a lot, so this is a good opportunity to see what’s possible.”
Adam Frederici is one of the few players to make his England debut in 2018 and was called up to the World Cup squad.
The versatile midfielder has been at Newcastle since the age of 15 and scored his first England goal in a 2-1 win over Wigan in the League Cup last month.
“He’s a big player and has a lot to offer, so we’re excited to have him back in the squad,” John said.
Adam Federico is back in action for Newcastle after coming through the youth ranks at the club.
The Italian was at the heart of the Newcastle United side that reached the Champions League final against Bayern Munich last season.
He joined the club on a two-year deal in the summer of 2018 and made seven appearances for the Magpies in all competitions.
“To be able to play against him again is amazing, it’s something special and it shows how much he wants to play for Newcastle,” John added.
“Adam’s been a huge influence on us in terms of his style of play and his vision.”
For him to be back is a huge boost for us.
“Adam is now available for the first game of the season against Southampton.